School Quarantine: Should Students Stay On Campus Or Is It Best To Go Home?


So, where do I begin? Should I go into how I knew that it's still isn't safe for students as the virus will still spread regardless of strict restrictions? Should I go into how the school shouldn't have decided to open up? I don't know.

What I do know is these restrictions are not stopping the virus from spreading any time soon. I was skeptical about the idea of returning to school. Of course, I really wanted to come back for this semester since it was my last year and I missed being with my friends. However, I wasn't sure how well the plan that universities have to stay open will be effective enough.

I figured that it would a lot of interactions still, people being active, and just in general too much close contact for staff and students. So far, what I thought would happen, did happen. Our school's cases were increasing so fast that the campus had to quarantine for two weeks under strict rules. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the Bradley staff for their efforts to keep everyone safe. They had a good plan set in place and was executing it rather decently. The results were just inevitable because of compliance issues and the environment everyone is in.

Three and a half weeks into the semester, it seems like no matter all of the precautions you take, the virus is still going to be a problem. Quarantine or not, students will still want to hang out, travel out places, and not follow COVID guidelines because people want to live a normal life.

Nonetheless, cases are still present on campus and the staff is on their heels about planning for any situation that could possibly occur. Personally, I think everyone should just go home. There's nothing happening on campus and the only thing students can really do anyway is attend class. Basically, students aren't doing anything differently if they were at home. Some people though may have different reasons for wanting to come back, like having freedom from your parents, but I don't have problems with my parents all in my space so I'm fine with staying home.

My thing is if the campus has to do all of this to stay open then what's the point of being on campus.  I understand in-class learning is the best option for some students, but this is a health concerning matter and eventually students would just have to figure out a way to adjust working virtually. Even if that takes working twice as hard. It's the name of game, you can't really do much about it.

Also, if we did students had to go home permanently, it would be a disaster. So much inconvenience, wasted time, wasted money, and more complications. I think the campus and other universities should just avoid that scenario altogether until there is an effective solution for COVID.

I really think college is a scam and universities are trying to stay open for the money. But hey, who am I to try and run a university in the middle of a pandemic.

Comments